Friday 9 March 2012

"Take me, I am the drug. Take me, I am hallucinogenic."



Salvador Dali, the artist who continuously inspires and delights me, despite the fact that he has been dead since 1989. He was best known for his surrealist work, but in fact he was far more talented. For me his genius was beyond people's imagination. What was so special about him?
"People love mystery, and that is why they love my paintings"
Obviously, it was his paintings that attracted my abiding interest first. Having seen the Burning Giraffe I got impressed enough to continue my journey through the world of mystery. The titles of his paintings may seem slightly irrelevant, however, it often casts new light on his work, and offers a different perspective and new values. Here are four of my favourites Dali's paintings.
The Burning Giraffe

 
 One Second Before Awakening from a Dream Caused by the Flight of a Bee Around a Pomegranate

Portrait of Gala with two Lamb Chops Balanced on her Shoulder

Honey is Sweeter than Blood


I came back from the journey, but I was not entirely satisfied. I wanted more. Having read his biography I still wanted more, so I decided to buy a book and immediately fell in love with him and his mind. Of course there are some aspects, which I do not agree with, for instance his assumption that it is impossible to express oneself through music, thus music cannot be considered as an art form. Perhaps his opinion resulted from the fact that music was probably the only area in which he was not good at.

"One day it will have to be officially admitted that what we have christened reality is an even greater illusion than the world of dreams."
I think that Dali's secret of succes is his remarkable imagination, ability to self-promote, and kind of cockiness which made him a controversial figure. Yet, it does not mean that it was his real self. Having read this short book I came to the conclusion, that he'd never revealed his real self to the public. It was only his wife and muse - Gala, who he could really trust and who really knew him.
"Each morning when I awake, I experience again a supreme pleasure - that of being Salvador Dali."
There is no doubt that Dali was a self-centred snobbish eccentric. Everytime he got among people, he provoked controversy due to his weird unusual behaviour. In fact, he did't enjoy a good reputation (that is what we have in common). Dali in the old days had a big admiration for himself and spoke of himself with exalted words, but as he got older he admitted, that the more he admired himself he realised he was a real catastrophe.
 Dali & Gala
“There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I am mad.” 
In fact, he was! Yet, I suppose it was his another mask that he was wearing to attract people's attention, to safisfy his ceaseless hunger of being the centre of interest. I think the extract from "Midnight in Paris" provides a fine portrayal of Dali's eccentricity.




A cherry on top: my favourite quote of S.Dali, and I'm leaving you with your thoughts.

"It is not me who is the clown, but this monstrously cynical and so unconsciously naive society, which plays the game of seriousness in order better to hide its madness."


1 comment:

  1. It's interesting to think what Dali's art would be like today, if he lived. It seems the Internet would be his medium, with viral videos thriving and performance art on the rise. I must say that his art has always made me feel a bit uneasy and distressed, which must have been his intention, I presume.

    ReplyDelete